Thursday, July 12, 2012

When is it finished?

"Poppies and Lupines"  Watercolor on paper, float mounted onto a rag board with a floating mat.


When is a painting finished?  

     That seems to be a difficult question for me personally.  My art tends to be finished when I frame it and I can't get to it to change it easily.  I am always seeing that one thing, what ever it may be, that bothers me after I sit with a painting for a while.  I have an image in my mind that usually evolves with the painting, but then it is never perfect or my idea of good enough.  I have to fix it  and keep fixing it.  That can ruin a watercolor painting and create hours of additional work on an acrylic canvas.  

    The odd thing is, though that often when I put a mat or frame around a work, it changes how I view the work and settles down the unease I can feel about my art.  It can also help with a composition that is fighting me and not balanced in the right way.  The frame or mat creates more of a boundary than plain paper and I can see what needs to be corrected easily.  Framing for me stops the fussing.  I feel like the effort of framing my work adds a value to my art that I may not give it on its own.  I enjoy seeing my work on the wall and feeling like I have finished it.

1 comment:

  1. Photo Restoration Melbourne For over 40 years, we`ve added that special gallery touch to beautiful artwork for artists, curators, photographers and the general public. Display your artwork gloriously from oil paintings to aboriginal art with the most beautifully handcrafted artwork framing presentation.

    ReplyDelete